The sangnyangmoon (a sign documenting the history and details of building construction) found during the building disassembly and repair works in 1985, showed that the temple was built in the 1st year of Joseon Dynasty’s King Taejong’s reign, repaired in the 9th year of King Gwanghae’s reign after it was damaged by the Japanese Invasion of Korea in 1592 and repaired again in the 25th year of King Yeongjo’s reign.
However, according to the historical record of Gwangnyongsa Temple, due to a serious flooding in the fall of the 30th year (1704) of King Sookjong’s reign, this main temple was damaged and over 20 monks drowned. Then, in the 38th year (1712) of King Sookjong’s reign, Daewoongjeon and other temples were rebuilt. This is inconsistent with what it says on the sangnyangmoon but when it comes to constructions, sangnyeongmoon is the more reliable record.
Daewoongjeon is a dapo-style (having one or more intercolumnar bracket sets above the lintel between two columns as wells as on top of each column) structure with hip-and-gable roof and it shows architectural features of the mid Joseon Dynasty period. The interior has two high columns (goju) in the back and a crossbeam lies on top of those columns.
Between the two high columns, is a Buddhist altar and there is datjib (a house built within a house) above the altar. The ceiling is designed in the shape of 井, a Chinese character meaning ‘well’ and the center section is higher than the surrounding section.
There are two chulmok (projecting parts in the bracket system) and the ends of the bracket sets have a triangular shape.